Man accused of shooting candidate in police custody

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — A man accused of shooting a Louisville mayoral candidate has been taken into federal custody, jail records show.

Quintez Brown, 22, is listed as a federal prisoner at the Grayson County Detention Center in Leitchfield, Kentucky. Brown’s attorney, Rob Eggert, told the Louisville Courier Journal on Thursday that a federal grand jury had indicted his client. He said Brown was arrested on Wednesday “by multiple federal agents,” the newspaper reported.

Eggert did not provide details of the charges against Brown, and federal authorities did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Brown was arrested by Louisville police shortly after the Feb. 14 shooting. Mayoral candidate Craig Greenberg said he was not hit by the gunfire, although a bullet grazed his sweater.

Greenberg, a Democrat, said he was at his campaign headquarters with four colleagues when a man appeared in the doorway and began firing multiple bullets. A member of staff managed to close the door, which they barricaded with tables and desks, and the shooter fled.

A police report said Brown was carrying a loaded 9mm magazine in his trouser pocket and had a drawstring bag with a handgun and extra magazines when he was arrested.

Brown was housebound and fitted with a GPS ankle monitor after a group called the Louisville Community Bail Fund paid the $100,000 cash bail on Feb. 16. A judge also ordered Brown to have no contact with Greenberg or his campaign staff and prohibited him from possessing firearms.

Brown’s house arrest sparked outrage from Greenberg, who said it was “impossible to believe” Brown could be released.

Last week, a Kentucky grand jury in Louisville indicted Brown on one count of attempted murder and four counts of first-degree wanton endangerment, all state charges. He pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Brown, a social justice activist who was running as an independent for the Louisville Metro Board, disappeared for about two weeks last summer. After being found to safety, his parents released a statement asking for patience and privacy while they tend to his ‘physical, mental and spiritual needs’.

In March, a judge allowed Brown to undergo a mental health evaluation to determine if he should be admitted to a psychiatric hospital for treatment.

Louisville police said in February that Brown appears to have acted alone. The motive is also under investigation and has not been publicly discussed by authorities.

Comments are closed.