London Police Take ‘No Further Action’ Regarding Prince Andrew’s Examination
By Amy Cassidy and Tara John, CNN
London Police decided to take “no further action” against Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, following an investigation triggered by Virginia Roberts Giuffre, who filed a complaint against him in New York for abuse suspected sexual intercourse.
The Metropolitan Police Service has decided to drop its investigation after reviewing a number of documents, including those released in August 2021 in connection with Giuffre’s civil trial in the United States.
“This review is complete and we are taking no further action,” the force said Monday in an emailed statement to CNN.
Giuffre, an alleged victim of disgraced sex offender and financier Jeffrey Epstein, has alleged that she was forced to perform sexual acts with Prince Andrew. She said she was trafficked by Epstein and forced to have sex with her friends, including the Duke of York, when she was underage.
Andrew has denied similar allegations by Giuffre in the past.
The Met also said it would take no action following a review of the allegations uncovered in an investigation by London-based Channel 4 News in June, which reported “more than a half dozen of claims that young women and girls have been targeted, trafficked, cared for or abused in the UK for over a decade by Epstein and British socialite Ghislaine Maxwell. Maxwell has pleaded not guilty to sex trafficking and other charges.
“We have also reviewed information provided to us by a media organization in June 2021. This review has concluded and no further action will be taken,” the Metropolitan Police said.
The force “continues to liaise with other law enforcement agencies investigating matters related to Jeffrey Epstein,” the statement added.
It comes months after Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick told LBC radio station that “no one is above the law” when asked about the allegations against the Duke of York.
“The position is that we have had more than one allegation related to Mr. Epstein and we have looked at them, assessed them and we have not opened an investigation,” Dick said at the time.
Giuffre’s lawyers provided the senior British royal with legal documents for a lawsuit last month.
In the lawsuit, Giuffre alleges that Prince Andrew sexually assaulted her at the invitation of Epstein and Maxwell while she was underage and that cases of alleged sexual abuse occurred at Maxwell’s London home and at Epstein’s home in Manhattan and on his private island in the United States. The Virgin Islands.
Buckingham Palace and Prince Andrew have vigorously denied his claims.
But Andrew’s associations with Epstein and Maxwell – Epstein’s former girlfriend – continue to haunt him.
U.S. authorities have previously accused Andrew of not cooperating in attempts to interview him as part of the investigation into the alleged sex trafficking ring Epstein and Maxwell are suspected of operating.
The prince stepped down from royal duties following a 2019 interview he gave to the BBC in which he was widely seen to have damaged his own credibility. He now rarely appears in public.
™ & © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.