Amina-Faye Johnson: Parents of dead baby with 60 broken bones jailed | UK News

The parents of an eight-week-old baby girl who died with more than 60 broken bones in her body have been jailed after being found guilty by a jury of causing or allowing her to suffer serious physical harm.

In interviews with police, Naomi Johnson, 24, and Benjamin O’Shea, 26, claimed paramedics caused the injuries to their daughter Amina-Faye Johnson, who had 41 broken ribs and 24 broken limbs when she died in April. 2019.

O’Shea, a former army reservist from Southwark, southeast London, was jailed for eight-and-a-half years, while Johnson, from Battersea, southwest London, was jailed for seven years .

Judge Nigel Peters QC, who handed down the sentence at Inner London Crown Court, said “unfortunately” this is “another heartbreaking case of parents being abusive or cruel to their child”. He added: “There is no doubt that this is a case of the highest gravity in terms of cruelty to children in terms of injuries.”

The couple had called 999 after their daughter stopped breathing. Paramedics arrived within minutes but she died at the scene. The court heard the Metropolitan Police said there were no visible signs of injuries and that Amina-Faye initially suffered a sudden unexplained death, but X-rays later identified her fractures.

Radiologists said the broken bones were highly indicative that she had suffered physical abuse, although an exact cause of death has not been established.

The couple suggested their daughter’s death could have been the result of vaccinations she had received when they took her to the GP the day before her death, and that the broken ribs had been caused by paramedics performing CPR.

Amina-Faye suffered “deliberate and vicious injuries”, the worst to the right thigh bone which could “only have been caused by a brutal attack”, the court heard. It was “remarkable” that there were no outward signs of his fractures, the judge said. Both parents shared the same blame as it was “inconceivable” that they hadn’t noticed his suffering.

A medical expert concluded that the baby’s limb bone fractures were caused on at least seven occasions, while his rib fractures were suffered in at least two incidents.

The relationship between Johnson and O’Shea, who met when she was 15 and he was 18 or 19, and who have now separated, has been described by the judge as “fractured” and “stormy”.

It was clear in court that there was still a “temper between the two of them”, the judge said. He said O’Shea had woven a web of lies about his background, work and career to suggest he suffered after serving in Afghanistan, even though it was all “completely untrue”.

Detectives found a call Johnson made to NHS 111 on April 1, 2019 reporting that Amina-Faye had coughed up blood. When the doctor called back and spoke to O’Shea advising him to take her to the hospital, she was not taken.

The two also received two months each, to be served consecutively, after being found guilty of cruelty to a person under the age of 16 in relation to a separate child.

Amina-Faye’s case was described as “really heartbreaking” by DI Melanie Pressley, who led the investigation. She said: “In eight weeks of life, Amina has suffered an unimaginable number of injuries. The trauma she endured in her short life is impossible to comprehend. His wounds are a catalog of the most despicable abuses.

Comments are closed.